Messrs Brown and the syndicate funding Three Houses et al must have considered Golden Grove surplus to their requirements as it was sold in 1921 for £16,000.
The last chapter in Golden Grove’s history as a plantation began. Herbert and then his son Geoffrey Manning were the last of the planters here, still remembered by older residents with some affection. They ran a plantation when St Philip was still full of sugar cane for about 50 years, including the hardship period of the 1930s.
Geoffrey Manning was known as a keen sportsman- he was one of the founders of the Barbados Rally Club in 1957.
By 1970 the economic viability of sugar at Golden Grove was finally in doubt. This was also the year that the sugar factory at Three Houses closed.
The land at Golden Grove was apportioned to create smaller farming interests and the house became a home for another keen sportsman and polo player; later it passed to a newer resident to the island, a successful entrepreneur in the up-coming dominant industry of tourism and hospitality.
And it is in this world that Golden Grove fits today. Of course its history remains- and itself can be a new lease of life to attract visitors and so successfully maintain the house and gardens.
As part of this, the Barbados Museum will be showing a series of exhibitions at Golden Grove with reference to the particular history here. The first showing commences, naturally, with an emphasis on the original settlers who inhabited close by, the “Amerindians”.
The Museum itself is located some way west along the South coast with a range of exhibits and an extensive library, a great start for any day dedicated to understanding Barbados and open daily.
Should you venture here to the south-east, please view our website to choose a day when Golden Grove has an Open House. We would recommend combining a visit here with the local bays and viewpoints, as a charming addition to a day of sightseeing- with swimming left for another time and less treacherous waters!
You can continue reading about Golden Grove Great House History